One of the benefits of living in SF is all the cultural, business, and community events on the calendar. With COVID, many events have been canceled or moved online. We recommend you contact the events directly to ensure you have the latest information.
Feel free to email updates corrections or add new dates.
- ZAP Wine Festival – ZinEX—Social Zinstancing is going virtual, where gathering together becomes a whole new experience and has never been so meaningful. Our reimagined 29 1/2 ZinEX—The Social Zinstancing Experience will be filled with virtual delights galore. Virtual; Jan 28-30, 2021
- SF Sketchfest – If this were a normal year, we would currently be in the process of booking and planning our big 20th annual festival for January 2021. But because of so many unknown factors, it may be a while before we can all go back to safely attending live events. And so we have had to accept that right now, we don’t see a path forward for presenting a live, in-person festival in January.
- Berlin & Beyond Film Festival – Now in its 25th anniversary season, the Berlin & Beyond Film Festival is the leading and largest contemporary German cinema festival in the Americas. With an annual attendance of over 7,000 film-goers, the festival has presented over 500 motion pictures from German-speaking countries in its history. The festival is an annual tradition for San Francisco and has been a gateway for the American public to experience the diversity, history, and progress of German-speaking countries; while celebrating the universal spirit and vision of filmmakers from this global region.
- SF Beer Week – SF Beer Week collects curated events spanning multiple days, celebrating craft beer, the craft community, and the Bay Area’s creative spirit.
- SF Chronicle Wine Tasting Event – More than 5,000 wine lovers, will converge to enjoy sweeping views of the Golden Gate Bridge, outstanding food, conversations, and a bit of education as they imbibe samples from more than 800 wineries. Fort Mason Center.
- Chinese New Year’s Parade & Festival – Named one of the top ten Parades in the world by International Festivals & Events Association, the Southwest Airlines Chinese New Year Parade in San Francisco is one of the few remaining nights illuminated Parades in North America and the biggest parade celebrating the lunar new year outside of Asia. Started in the 1860s by the Chinese in San Francisco to educate the community about their culture, the Parade and Festival have grown to be the largest celebration of Asian culture outside of Asia. Since 1958, the parade has been under the direction of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce.
- ACADEMY OF FRIENDS ACADEMY AWARDS NIGHT GALA – A gala event to raise funds, award donations, and encourage volunteerism to benefit a diverse group of HIV/AIDS agencies in the San Francisco Bay Area offering direct care and prevention education. 100% of ticket sales will be distributed to their six HIV/AIDS beneficiaries: AIDS Legal Referral Panel, Aguilas, Maitri Compassionate Care, Openhouse, HIV Nightline, and the Spahr Center.
- PACIFIC ORCHID AND GARDEN EXPOSITION – The annual edition of the San Francisco Orchid Society’s show explodes with 150,000 flowers, including hundreds of award-winners selected by the American Orchid Society. San Francisco County Fair Building (Hall of Flowers), Golden Gate Park.
- The Crystal Fair – a magical mix of crystals, minerals, beads, jewelry, and the healing arts. It takes place 6 times a year in 3 different locations. With over 40 vendors at each show, there are thousands of items available at affordable prices. Mar 6-7, 2021
- ST. PATRICK’S DAY PARADE AND FESTIVAL – This is one of San Francisco’s (and indeed California’s) largest annual parades and one of the longest-running parades the USA. The feast of Saint Patrick (Pádraig)—Apostle of Ireland and its patron saint―is celebrated with live music, dance, traditional Irish cuisine, and a beverage or two. The parade will feature pipe and fife bands, civilian, college, and school bands, Irish dancers, antique cars, drum and bell bands, drum and bugle bands, drill teams, color guards, floats galore, decorated cars/trucks/cable cars, and baton corps. Wear green. You’ll blend right in. The parade, led by pipers, starts at 11:30 am at 2nd and Market St. and ends at Civic Center Plaza, where the festival carries on from 10 am to 5 pm.
- INTERNATIONAL OCEAN FILM FESTIVAL – One of the largest and most diverse of its kind, the festival features documentaries, animations, narratives, and other traditional screen fares. Topics include ocean adventures, island cultures, surfing, sharks (of course), and many more things oceanic. Cowell Theater, Fort Mason Center.
- CAAMFest – CAAMFest is the nation’s largest showcase for new Asian American and Asian films, annually presenting approximately 130 works in San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland. Since 1982, the festival has been an important launching point for Asian American independent filmmakers and a vital source for new Asian cinema: New People Cinema and various theaters.
- SF Human Rights Film Festival – We are celebrating our eighteenth anniversary with an amazing program. This year’s films address human rights violations in the U.S., Syria, Guatemala, The Philippines, Chile, Argentina, China, Hawaii, Australia, Nicaragua, Canada, and Myanmar. The issues include political repression, genocide, disappearances, human trafficking, women’s rights, climate change, environmental destruction, LGBTQ rights, racism, indigenous rights, colonialism, extractive economy, migrations, immigration, refugees.
- SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL CHOCOLATE SALON – Those with a penchant for chocolate can indulge in artisanal, gourmet, and premium chocolate from more than 50 chocolatiers and confectioners. Non-chocophile exhibitors and artisans will also be on hand, including reps from wineries participating in the San Francisco Invitational Wine Salon. Herbst Pavilion, Fort Mason Center.
- FILLMORE SPRING WINE WALK/WOBBLE – Tasting event includes merchants offering wine samples and special treats inside their stores along Fillmore Street. Tickets are $25 on-site, $20 in advance—Fillmore Street from Jackson to Eddy Streets.
- Cherry Blossom Festival
- Cesar Chavez Festival
- Union Street Spring Celebration
- Glen Park Festival
- International Film Festival – Founded in 1957, the San Francisco International Film Festival (SFFILM Festival) is the longest-running film festival in the Americas. Refreshingly intimate for a festival of its size and scope, the event traditionally combines a range of marquee premieres, international competitions, compelling documentaries, new digital media work, live music performances, and star-studded red carpet events. SFFILM is currently moving forward with planning its Festival for April 2021 as a hybrid in-person and online event by all active health and safety recommendations from local, state, and federal officials. Exact dates, venue footprint, and in-person event structure are all subject to change based on the realities of producing a safe and accessible film festival at that time. Apr 9-18, 2021
- Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon – Welcome to the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. The world’s top athletes from around the globe take over the streets and waters of San Francisco for this prestigious triathlon. Showcasing the beauty of San Francisco, triathletes embark on a 1.5-mile swim from Alcatraz Island to the San Francisco shoreline, an 18-mile hilly bike ride out to Golden Gate Park, and an 8-mile trail run out to Baker Beach and up the infamous Sand Ladder. This world-renowned triathlon, in which only 2,000 triathletes can participate, sells out quickly each year. TBA
- Bay to Breakers
- International Beer Festival
- Carnaval Festival
- Uncorked Wine Festival
- Future Wine Expo – an experience like no other, packed with conference sessions over a 2-day period where attendees will also learn about the industry’s current status and opportunities. May 19, 2022
- Gay Pride Parade & Festival
- North Beach Festival
- Union Street Festival
- Haight Street Fair
- Juneteenth Festival
- Frameline Film Festival
- Japan Day |
- SF Folk Festival
- Waterfront Festival and Fireworks
- Fillmore Jazz Festival
- Salsa on the Fillmore
- Breastfest Beer Festival
- Frozen Film Festival
- Jewish Film Festival
- Up Your Alley – for real players – where leatherfolk rule the streets internet. Show up and show out in your gear: leather, rubber, or whatever gets you off! Jul 26, 2020
- Cannabis Food Show promises to be relevant for anyone involved in developing, producing, distributing, and retailing cannabis and related products. It will also provide a vital networking opportunity for political analysts, medical experts, and those involved in developing and implementing legalized cannabis into new markets. Jul 30, 2021
- Outside Lands Music Festival
- Japan Film Festival
- Nihonmachi Street Fair
- Craft Spirits Carnival
- Excelsior Street Festival
- Origami Palooza
- Sausalito Art Festival – Now in its 68th year, the Sausalito Art Festival refuses to be stopped by COVID-19, and we hope you will join us “virtually” this year to help keep the creative spirit alive.
- Chinatown Autumn Moon Festival
- Sausalito Art Festival
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival
- Green Film Festival,
- Latino Film Festival
- Irish Film Festival
- SF Fringe Festival
- Comedy Day in Golden Gate Park
- Sea Music Festival
- Brews on the Bay
- A Taste of Greece
- Oktoberfest by the Bay
- Iranian Film Festival
- Polk Street Blues Festival
- Folson Street Fair – The ‘only in San Francisco’ event goes worldwide! Join fetish enthusiasts from around the world during the groundbreaking virtual Folsom Street Fair. We’ll bring the Folsom Street Fair features that you know and love directly into your home. Featuring DJs, live music, shopping, and education with our exhibitors, BDSM demos, and so much more. Stay tuned for more information on how we’re bringing Folsom Street Fair into your home! Online, Sept 27, 2020
- Fleet Week
- Open Studios
- Potrero Hill Festival
- Arab Film Festival
- Italian Heritage Parade
- Noe Valley Harvest Festival
- SF International Festival of Short Films
- United Nations Association Film Festival
- Fiesta on the Hill
- Wharf Fest
- SF Dance Film Festival
- SF Indie Fest – SF IndieFest is a year-round, non-profit organization that has been operating since 1998. We present five annual festivals: the SF Independent Film Festival (SF Indie for short), the SF Documentary Festival (DocFest for short), the SF Independent Short Film Festival (IndieShorts), Another Hole in the Head, our genre film festival, and the MegaCity Interplanetary Film Festival which presents the best new indie science fiction. Oct 9-18, 2020
- San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition – The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition is the largest competition of North American wines globally! Oct 15, 2020
- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
- Castro Street Fair
- 3i International South Asian Film Festival– Bollywood & Beyond: Celebrate 3rd i’s eighteenth annual SF International South Asian Film Festival (Bollywood and Beyond) as a FREE virtual event with some of the best cinema in India, South Africa, the UK, and the USA. Online; Oct 23-25, 2020
- DAY OF THE DEAD (DIA DE LOS MUERTOS) – Day of the Dead includes a 7 pm procession starting at Bryant & 22nd St., plus candle-lit altars in Garfield Park (26th and Harrison, 4-11 pm) to honor the departed.
- Napa Valley Film Festival – This celebration of film, food, and wine lights up the towns of Napa, Yountville, St. Helena, and Calistoga. It features more than 125 new independent films and studio sneak previews screening in venues throughout four highly walkable towns.
- American Indian Film Festival – The 45th annual American Indian Film Festival® continues the American Indian Film Institute’s tradition of premiering the best movies, music videos, and original entertainment by, for, and about American Indian and First Nations people, Nov. 6-14, 2020. This year – with 102 films, 55 world premieres, and nine days of virtual/online screenings – the American Indian Film Festival maintains its focus on cinematic content that informs, educates, uplifts, and invokes the catalyst of cathartic cultural exchange. Online; Nov 6-14, 2020
- SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL SOUTH ASIAN FILM FESTIVAL: BOLLYWOOD AND BEYOND – Screening films from India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. Selected films are shown at a later date in Cupertino. Nov 7-10, 2020
- Transgender Film Festival – SFTFF 2020 will be hosted online via Eventive. Online; Nov 12-15, 2020
- The San Francisco Marathon – While our in-person race has been canceled due to COVID-19, you can still take part in the annual SF Marathon from your own community, local park, or even your favorite treadmill! Virtual, Nov 15, 2020
- Renegade Craft Fair – The best makers of handmade goods from the Bay Area and beyond assemble for this free-to-attend marketplace for indie craft culture, featuring interactive workshops. TBA
- SAN FRANCISCO HIP-HOP DANCE FESTIVAL – This festival features excellent professional dance companies from around the world. Also, master classes will be taught by some of the visiting artists, along with a VIP/performer party, to celebrate the convergence of artists with the public. Nov 21, 2020
- Save the Waves Film Festival – Due to COVID-19, and in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day, we decided to help entertain and inspire audiences from the safety of their homes. Save The Waves Film Festival opened its archival vault for a virtual world tour and released six episodes for free online.
- San Francisco International Auto Show – After extensive consultation with health officials, the City of San Francisco, and the Moscone Convention Center, and exploring all options in light of the constantly evolving COVID-19 situation, we are left with no choice but to make the difficult decision to officially announce the cancellation of this year’s San Francisco International Show. Canceled
- THE GREAT DICKENS CHRISTMAS FAIR – This fair revives the traditions of an old English Victorian Christmas with theaters, a music hall, dance parties, taverns, shops, stalls, food, street vendors, and period costumes. Canceled
- TURKEY TRAIL TROT, GOLDEN GATE PARK – This invigorating run or walk has become a popular Thanksgiving Day tradition for many. Virtual; Nov 26, 2020
- ILLUMINATE SF – More than a dozen permanent and temporary eco-friendly light art installations transform San Francisco nights into a citywide gallery of light. Tours and events based on these public art installations invite visitors to “embrace the power of light.” Nov 26 – Jan 23, 2020
- TREE LIGHTING CELEBRATION: UNION SQUARE – Expect crowds at Macy’s Union Square tree lighting, which begins with a ceremony and singers. Free. The entertainment starts at 6 pm. The tree will be adorned with more than 1500 ornaments and lit at 6:40 pm.
- GHIRARDELLI SQUARE TREE LIGHTING CEREMONY – Ghirardelli’s famous square comes alive with colorful performers, music, and a 50-foot Christmas tree lighting up the night. Nov 27, 2020
- SantaCon SF – SantaCon has been canceled this year.